Subject: Multiple changes

Greetings!

Sorry 'bout missing a post for yesterday on change tracking!

In the ECT proposal, there was a separate treatment of multiple changes to the same content.

I don't have the answer but let me sketch the bramble I find myself in:

First, if there are multiple changes to a particular piece of text, is there a presumption of fixing of state?

That is if I take text from just plain text to *bold text*, save the text and then later come back to that *bold text* and underline the "text" portion of it, there are clearly two change operations to be tracked.

If I don't save the text, but simply change it to bold and before saving, also underline the "text" part, is that to be two change operations or only one?

That is at what time does the state of the text become "fixed" so that change tracking is engaged again?

I know I have inserted text and then changed the inserted text, with nary a trace of the original inserted text.

I suspect there is some common rule that implementers apply but I have no idea what it would be.

Suggestions?

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Patrick

--