Subject: Re: [office-collab] Multiple changes

<office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org> wrote on 09/20/2012 04:41:50 PM:

> Svante,
>
> OK, trying again:
>
> When you say:

> Not being saved. I can rewrite a sentence a dozen times , in the end
> it is only saved the delta from the start and the end of the
> session. In other words the operations are being compressed to
> express the information set representing the session delta.

> What is a session?

What you have is an initial document model A, and a modified document model A'. The change tracking problem is defining a vocabulary for specifying set of operations on document A that will transform it into document A', for all possible A' that may be derived from A via editing operations.  (And yes, we'll need to enumerate those editing operations).

Although it is possible for a pathological editor to specify the transformation of "x" -> "y" as first inserting "z", then deleting "z" and appending "y", I'm not sure we need to forbid this.  So long is the transformation yields the correct end state, we could allow implementation-dependent optimizations for reducing the "edit distance" from A to A'.  But there might be practical constraints in any given implementation.  Perhaps an editor can coalesce multiple edits to the same <p> but not handle this as well for cut & paste operations between paragraphs.  Requiring perfection here would require an implementation to store an arbitrarily long stack of editing operations, something I don't think we want to require.

http://tm.durusau.net
http://www.durusau.net

http://tm.durusau.net
http://www.durusau.net