Subject: RE: [office-collab] Terminology question

Sorry for the delay - I was out of the office for the better part of a week.  It's going to take me a while to get through the litany of e-mail that has ensued.

That's used in the examples for applying a new style.  Just a term I had to come up with to differentiate between the cases where a piece of text did and did not already have a style applied.  To be able to reject the change, the old style has to be cached somewhere so it can be reapplied.

Yes, for an application editing session, it has to take the current state of the document as its starting point.  Whatever cached info about prior state must be in there for the application to revert to it if changes are rejected.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Patrick Durusau
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 8:42 AM
To: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [office-collab] Terminology question

Greetings!

An easy question for a Friday. ;-)

When the phrase "cached state" is used in the ECT documents, does that mean prior tracked changes?

That is any document as an initial state when change tracking begins.

I may open the document with change tracking on or turn change tracking on after editing the document for some time, or start and stop change tracking, or even open a document with previous session changes tracked in it.

Without commenting on how implementations may choose to implement change tracking internally, I am thinking that the state of the document is always measured at the point a change is being made, with change tracking on.

That is every change is performed against the current state of the document with no reference to prior states.

Implementations could treat some changes as "reversions" to a prior state if they wish but that would not be reflected in the change tracking as defined by ODF.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick

PS: Next CT post will be this coming Monday.

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net