Subject: Re: [office-collab] How do we count? - September 26, 2012

I realized I could have added two more..

On 25.09.2012 12:02, Svante Schubert wrote:
Let me try to summarize what we already discussed on this topic:

Axiom:
  • Each Operation is being defined/specified in our ODF specification as parametrized XML change. Therefore every operation is label representing an interoperable traceable, reproducible document change.
Provisional First Prototype Model:
  • Operations are being added upon a stack/queue. Each operation is working in relation to the document state at their time. Every operation is simply added upon the stack, there is a basic time/stack depth relation.
  • Operations are able to be moved within this stack. In other words, it is possible to switch two adjacent operations in their order.
    During a switch position parameters of one of the two operations might need adaption, whenever one of it is is the creation/deletion of a preceding sibling or ancestor (being the other), see presentation slide 17.
    Note: There are logical boundaries, like the deletion, or manipulation of a component can not be moved in front of the creation of the very same component.
  • Operations are equal to functions and function composition is applicable, like instead of having two operations adding a single character, we might have a a single operation adding these two. Allowing the condensation of the applied operations. Maintaining the same overall document change or change info set.
  • Should a Operation being removed from the stack, the simplest view (algorithm) is move the operation to be removed at the very top of the stack, so it is similar as the operation had been the last Operation being added to the document, working on the very last state with - most important - no side-effects to other operations (those had been resolved during movement through the stack).

Several of those points are only for understanding purpose and will certainly not make it into the specification. Those constructs are only as aid for implementors and will happen behind the scenes.

Talk to you tomorrow on the call!

Best regards,
Svante

Are there questions to the draft statements above?

Best regards,
Svante

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Experts in information change"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK
--------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: office-collab-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org For additional commands, e-mail: office-collab-help@lists.oasis-open.org