Subject: Re: [office-collab] How do we count? - September 26, 2012

Hi,

> Operations are being added upon a stack/queue. Each operation is working
in
> relation to the document state at their time. Every operation is simply
added
> upon the stack, there is a basic time/stack depth relation.

I am not sure, if it needed that operations need to be on a stack/queue for
an intrinsic change tracking.

My view is:
In general two changes are independent unless the changes are touching the
same content. Even if they are touching the same content they can be
independent - e.g., formatting a text as bold and afterwards as underlined.
I admit that certain changes are depending on each other, but this is not
the general case from my point of view.
I think it is an important feature of CT in an application that certain
changes can be rejected/accepted independently. This feature is not really
supported by bringing the changes into a strict order.

Another important feature for me is the following:
When I am editing a text document I want in general that the changes are
tracked. After some editing, I would like to run my spelling tool to
correct automatically my typos. The changes made by the spelling tool
should not be tracked. Now, it depends how the internal data structures in
my application in combination with my spelling tool are working to together
in order to keep the already created CT.
May be the document workflow consists of independent tools working on the
ODF document.
In order to have such a document workflow working each tools needs to be
deeply CT aware. I am currently not sure, if an extension to MCT is needed
to better support such document workflows.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann

--
Advisory Software Engineer

IBM Deutschland
Beim Strohhause 17
20097 Hamburg
Phone: +49-40-6389-1415
E-Mail: orwitt@de.ibm.com

IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzende des
Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294