Subject: Re: [office-collab] How do we count? - September 26, 2012

Oliver,

On 09/26/2012 07:04 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
Hi, Andreas,

Yes, Andreas is more or less right - it is a feature of the application.

Do you think it make sense to create a dependency in the file format
between two tracked changes which is not needed?

Even if changes impact the same content, isn't it still true that a user can accept or reject either change?

Say a change reorders content:

white and black -> black and white (one change)

Second change, bolds the phrase and adds a note to a student "This is the customary order."

Actually that is three changes but you get the picture.

But we have to record the changes, whether on the same content or not, in some order.

The "natural" order would be to record the changes in the order in which they occur, although you could present those to the user in any order the application chooses.

For example, all the changes to particular content could be presented on particular content and not in the "order" in which they occurred.

But that is a presentation issue, not one of the format for tracking changes.

Yes?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: In an inverted index, the positions of tokens are always counted as positions in a text stream. But there the text being indexed is fixed.

What we need for operations based change tracking is a common method for identifying elements, attributes and their values and content. So that "counting" up all the values to any given point in change tracking, gives us a common value that locates a change (and that we record in the change tracking syntax).

I restate the problem just to help me think about possible solutions. It seems to me that this has been solved before (or something very similar).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann

--
Advisory Software Engineer

IBM Deutschland
Beim Strohhause 17
20097 Hamburg
Phone: +49-40-6389-1415
E-Mail: orwitt@de.ibm.com

IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzende des
Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart,
HRB 243294