Subject: RE: [office-collab] How do we count? - September 26, 2012

I say it is the responsibility of the interoperability-committed producer of foreign elements, attributes, and attribute values that the document be valid and workable with those features ignored.

So whatever foreign elements do with regard to tracked-change dependencies, the document has to work with the foreign elements expunged if interoperable interchange is intended.

Of course, a producer can bypass that consideration and sacrifice interoperability at the ODF level.  Since only the producing implementation could then operate with such documents properly, I suspect that disease would turn out to be its own cure.

 - Dennis

PS: My off-the-cuff prediction is that any linear order constraint on tracked changes will be found to be too brittle.  It is a partial ordering at best, and because of partial overlaps, I'm not confident of that.  It might be appealing as an implementation notion, but reality may not be fooled.  In other words: It is important to be as simple as possible but no simpler.  This may be one of those too-simple notions.

-----Original Message-----
From: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Andreas J. Guelzow
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 07:16
To: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 05:04 -0600, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> Hi, Andreas,
>
> Yes, Andreas is more or less right - it is a feature of the application.
>
> Do you think it make sense to create a dependency in the file format
> between two tracked changes which is not needed?

ODF extended conformance documents can contain foreign elements that I
could imagine may create dependency between two tracked changes, that
cannot be discovered by an application ignoring those foreign elements.

So dependency stated in the file could be misleading to a consumer.
Moreover if it adds tracked changes they would not reflect the foreign
element-induced dependencies.

As a consequence I do not see how storing such dependencies in teh file
can reasonably work.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA