Subject: Levels of change tracking

Greetings!

Oliver raised an interesting question at our last meeting about modification of ODF files by less than full monty change tracking applications.

I would assume, for example, an XSLT script that removes empty paragraphs. Or one that removes editorial notes, ;-), would be quite similar.

One way to address that concern, I suspect, would be levels of change tracking conformance.

I am not wedded to the terminology, etc., but here is a thumb's sketch of what that might look like:

1) Level 1 Change Tracking Support

a) application does not display changes for acceptance/rejection

b) application displays such portion of the file as it is designed to display, in its final form. That is as if all changes have been accepted.

c) if the application makes changes to the file, those changes are reflected in the file (whether the changes are display or not being an issue for the application), and appended to the "changes.file" in the standardized format.

2) Level 2 Change Tracking Support

a) application displays changes for acceptance/rejection

b) if the application makes changes to the file, those changes are reflected in the file (whether the changes are display or not being an issue for the application), and appended to the "changes.file" in the standardized format.

3) Level 3 Change Tracking Support

a) application displays changes for acceptance/rejection

b) if the application makes changes to the file, those changes are reflected in the file (whether the changes are display or not being an issue for the application), and appended to the "changes.file" in the standardized format.

c) the application displays to the user advanced change tracking features, such as identification of identical "moved" text, etc.

True, there could be applications that don't append to the changes.txt file but I think that is the minimum that can be supported and still called supporting change tracking.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net