Subject: Counting issues, etc

Greetings!

I have been thinking about our discussion of counting and related issues, both on the list and in the last call.

I take it that change tracking at its most fundamental has two aspects:

1) Identify the location of a change.

2) Specify the change to be made.

Both of those are present whatever the change tracking mechanism (or format).

Following closely onto those two, however, is the common experience of turning change tracking on and also turning it off.

Perhaps is a single editing session by a single user.

But it is certainly the case that a document (in its broadest sense) can pass through several hands, all of which may turn change tracking on or off and all of who may make changes to the documents as well as accept or reject them.

(I need to post the multi-user making/accepting/rejecting comments into a requirement but that is for a separate post.)

I have the sense that turning change tracking on/off is nearly as universal a requirement as identification of location and specification of the change to be made.

Is that a fair statement?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Patrick

PS: I don't see any of these three requirements driving a particular result for operations based change tracking.

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net