Subject: Paragraph merge in ODF (earlier - Re: [office-collab] FW: [office] Groups - MCT Challenge #1 Documents (Zip) uploaded)

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for your example.

Before we are proposing a MCT solution, let us agree on what ODF application should be doing in this scenario.
I would like to ask the ODF implementors to test this with their applications.

We have two paragraphs in ODF with text and paragraph style formats.
Deleting the text from the mid of the first to the mid of the second paragraph, i.e.

delete end</p>

--> will result into -->

--> more precisely into -->

Allow me to extend the scenario as automatic and template styles are handled different. The overall merge scenario is unfortunately a little more complex than Dennis scenario has stated.

From my observations ODF applications act like:
All paragraph style properties are taken over from the first paragraph (automatic and template styles). The first paragraph wins! Only the automatic text properties of each paragraph will be merged. Taken from each paragraph automatic style they will be used as stand-alone text properties within spans created into the remaining paragraph.
The template text properties of the second paragraph are getting lost as well.

These are my observation from testing with OOo 3.4.1 (and partly with using MS Office 2013 preview - at least the first automatic scenario), might be a nice scenario for the upcoming ODF plugfest in Berlin.

Some might say the first span is redundant, as the text properties might remain in the first paragraph - at least I would have assumed this as a user -, but we might want to specify according to the behavior of the existing applications.
Note that the above scenario works as well if one of the two paragraphs is a heading instead.

Our goal is that an undo of the above change(s) should return the document in the previous state.
Do we all agree on the above observations of what should be archived?

Thanks,
Svante