Subject: Re: [office-collab] Paragraph merge in ODF (earlier - Re: [office-collab] FW: [office] Groups - MCT Challenge #1 Documents (Zip) uploaded)

Just let us describe how a merge of a paragraph/heading does occur in ODF.

No need to keep the scenario simple by omitting parts of the analysis.
Quite the opposite is necessary IMHO as the design of a solution have to
be able to fulfill the whole complexity not only a part of it. Otherwise
by omitting complexity more inadequate designs for the final solutions
are likely to be chosen.

Yes, I read your analysis and it is very interesting to notice that ODF
applications are keeping hard formatted text attributes during a merge.
Still it does not describe what occurs with other possible format
combination. The start document has only hard formatting text properties
on both components and the second got only a hard formatted paragraph
style. Missing was the hard formatted paragraph for the first paragraph
and that combination of format properties for a named style.

What I have observed during testing..

As start possible condition:
Both paragraph/heading to be merged may have text (or character) and
paragraph format properties and this format property set might be either
hard formatted (automatic style) or given by a named style (from the
styles.xml).

What happens during a merge:
The first paragraph (or heading) will keep its named style properties
(both text and paragraph), while the character (or text) format
properties are being moved from each paragraph to spans within the
merged paragraph.
If a paragraph and a heading will be merged the final type is equal to
the type of the first component.

Has somebody observed anything different?

PS: As you I do not care about bugs of existing applications nor do I
look at the existing change-tracking. What is interesting to me is the
serialization of the start document and the serialization of the end
document. Together with a high-level explanation of user interaction
with the ODF applications (the user intention).

Thanks,
Svante