Subject: Counting in Access Paths

This is a separate topic, although it certainly figures in how various interop challenges will be handled.

It occurs to me that counting has some disconcerting consequences.

I mean this kind of thing:

     <del s="/2/10" e="/3/18" />
     <merge s="/2" e="/3" />

There are some interesting consequences:

 1. It is nearly impossible to do these manually (as when fabricating tests, examples, etc.).  That goes to creating them and also checking them manually in forensic work.
 2. Is there a presumed canonicalization when it comes down to counting in text content? And how are component elements
    counted?  I assume they count as 1.
 3. This seems to be very brittle.  That is, anything that is done by some tracking-negligent tool that changes the offset of material that is touched by tracking will completely break the tracked change, with no detection that it happened.  In the ODF scheme, as one example, there is much more resilience in the making of alterations that are unrelated to the change.  Even when there is some sort of collision, there is more information that may help resolve it, or at least determine that some of the tracking cannot be relied upon any longer.  That it may not be possible for a consumer to even detect the disconnect is worrisome.

This is not an objection to MCT in principle, it is simply an objection to the difficulty and the apparent lack of resilience in the scheme by which the tracking is connected to the text that it applies to.  One can also argue that this is not in the spirit of XML-based models at all.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Svante Schubert
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 03:04
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org
Cc: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [office-collab] Paragraph merge in ODF (earlier - Re: [office-collab] FW: [office] Groups - MCT Challenge #1 Documents (Zip) uploaded)

[ ... ]

The heading is the first component, you start delete text from the second to the third component, which serialized MCT operations for the change of your challenge might be:
<del s="/2/10" e="/3/18" />
<merge s="/2" e="/3" />
The above are NOT the undo operations, but the operations that describe your change. The undo will follow as soon we agree on what is being changed in the XML and we (or I) need to think over how to handle styles in general (I will be on the ODF plugfest tomorrow and LibreOffice conference after, so I might have to pause this thread till next week).

I even would omit the second parameter for the merge as only sibling paragraphs can be merged.

[ ... ]