Subject: Re: [office-collab] Paragraph merge in ODF (earlier - Re: [office-collab] FW: [office] Groups - MCT Challenge #1 Documents (Zip) uploaded)

Hello Dennis,

Excuse the delay, but I am working on the SC only in my private time,
therefore I need to finish my daily work before starting here.

The starting document of yours was "CT-2012-10-04-1554-Challenge-01.odt"
and the content of interest:

<text:h text:style-name="P1" text:outline-level="1">Change-Tracking
Challenge #1</text:h>
<text:p text:style-name="P2">This is a simple demonstration of
cross-structure change-tracked deletion.</text:p>
<text:p text:style-name="P3">The deletion is a single operation striking
the end of one paragraph...</text:p>

The end document of yours was
"CT-2012-10-04-1617-Challenge-01-tracked.odt" and the content of interest:

<text:h text:style-name="P1" text:outline-level="1">Change-Tracking
Challenge #1</text:h>
<text:p text:style-name="Normal">
    <text:span text:style-name="T1">This is a </text:span>
    <text:span text:style-name="T2">single operation striking the end of
one paragraph...</text:span>
</text:p>

In all scenarios will the style of the remaining component (here
"Normal"), similar to the previous first ("P1"), only the format of
Analog the text properties of an automatic style of the second paragraph
will be part of the second <span> ("T2").

The operations to create this change would be:
<del s="/2/10" e="/3/18">
<merge s="/2" e="/3" />

To undo the change and bring it back to its original change it would be:
<split s="/2/10">
    <add type="style" name="Normal">
        <add type="style-text" name="hyphenate">false</add>
    </add>
    <add type="style" s="/3" inherit="Normal"> // style family is
redundant, as a Paragraph was be chosen, "Normal" the name of the
parent, as no "name" it is automatic style
                <add type="style-text" name="margin-left>0.5in</add>
//perhaps we use a measure unit parameter
    </add>
</split>
<add type="paragraph" s="/2/11">simple demonstration of cross-structure
change-tracked deletion.</add>
<add type="paragraph" s="/3/1">The deletion is a </add>

I nested the operations, when I realized over the week-end that for
adding paragraphs to a heading, which is part of a master page style,
someone would need a more complex position structure, more parameters on
all operations or nesting.
The latter is the most elegant.

Note: All XML changes of the operations will be described in the spec.
Similar as I drafted it earlier on this list. By doing so the complexity
of the repeating XML pattern is taking out of every document into a
single specification, i.e. the convention over configuration paradigm.

Best regards,
Svante