Subject: Re: [office-collab] "Changes" to the XML file

I fully agree on your observation, Patrick.

In addition what helped me to understand the complexity of
change-tracking was the scenario of a user, who loads a document and
saves it write away after only a single atomic change to the document.
Change-tracking have to provide the information to the serialized
document to undo that exact atomic change (or any stack of those atomic
changes).

While the previous approach of file formats had been to explicitly
describe the XML before and after the change, our approach is to
describe an atomic change of the document state by an operation as
placeholder. The change of the document state is similar to the
difference of the XML being saved before and after the atomic change.
Our ODF specification would define the operation by that XML change, so
the operation can used as abbreviation of the XML change to represent
the change information of the XML (or to be precise as we want to undo
the change, to store the inverse operation).

The operation is like a delta XML and together with the XML (before or
after) can be mapped to the XML (after or before). It is nothing more
than an abbreviation of the XML change of two documents or the similar
state change of the document. It should be remembered some Operations
can be compressed to a single one, like multiple insertion of sibling
characters is equal to the insertion of the similar text.

While the priority of the SC is on change-tracking the design comes from
the real-time collaboration, where operations of changes are being
exchanged among the office applications, it usually helps to map a CT
use case in the context of real-time collaboration. For instance, the
support of different feature sets:
In theory it is possible to have a real-time collaboration between a
full featured ODF office and a text only application as Vi. Both might
be working on the ODF specification.
The Vi could emulate paragraphs by line breaks, so that every line in
the VI would be mapped to a paragraph within the spec. Here some FAQ I
could think of:

Q: What is required to allow the interoperability of such different
applications.