Subject: Connection of MCT and OT?

I was in a Google Hangout earlier today and one of the participants
mentioned "OT," explained as "Operational Transformation" when I asked.  I
must be very late to the party, because the basic idea was published in
1989.

Is MCT somehow inspired by this?
< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_transformation>.

I was told that OT has some very rigid conditions with regard to their being
a linear text stream.

It occurred to me that this might apply for change-tracking (with or without
the collaboration case) but that it applies *not* to the XML structure but
to some canonical *presentation* (i.e., what users perceive themselves as
editing) that can be taken as semi-unstructured.

Just curious.

 - Dennis

PS: I think the subsequent acceptance and rejection of changes in various
sequences can be thought of as OT operations and that is where the
"asynchrony" comes up even though there is not concern about coordination
replicated copies.