Subject: Collaboration/Change Tracking aspects

Greetings!

While thinking about collaboration/change tracking this morning, it
occurred to me that there are several aspects yet to be discussed.

For example, what elements do we need to designate who changes will be
sent to and how?

Thinking such elements could designate a receiver of changes but at
the same time, disallow changes from a particular receiver.

The use case being that I want to make changes to a document that are
reflected in distributed drafts but don't want to accept changes from
any of the distributed copies. [A management scenario but management
does use word processors. ;-) ]

There should also be an element that controls the processing of
changes from particular sources, say limiting changes to comments and
comments upon comments and not any changes to the base text.

The use case being standards drafts for example, where notes on
particular parts of the text as well as notes on notes would be quite
acceptable. Whereas changes to the base text would not be.

Thinking the receiver's list should be separate items (a list?) with
attributes to control the aspects of collaboration/change tracking I
have listed above.

Should we leave communication protocols up to applications?

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Patrick

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Co-Chair, OpenDocument Format TC (OASIS)
Editor, OpenDocument Format TC, Project Editor ISO/IEC 26300
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO 13250-5 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau