Subject: Re: [office-collab] Immutable Change Tracking

The immutable change-tracking is indeed very useful for the scenario of commenting and editing a signed document. In this scenario the XML can not be changed, as otherwise the sign would be broken.
Every comment/edit would be saved aside the signed content XML and might be signed again for each author, ensuring the validity of the complete content.

That the changes will in the future refer to the position of change into the content instead of embedding it as prior we agree on. XPath is just a possible choice of implementation for referencing. From my observation Patrick's ideas are not based on XPath, he just took it as example. I rather would avoid XPath as ODF application do not require to have an XML model representation at run time, in contrary to the file model related DOM run-time API of browsers.
In addition ODF XML has no normalized representation, which make XML references more difficult.
Therefore the abstraction from XML to logical identities, which are known to users and referencing to those will be easier to handle by general run-time model related to ODF and works well for applications without ODF XML awareness even at run-time.

I have experienced this in my work on a browser based office with Open-XChange in the past years.
For example, the reference of the 3rd character within the 2nd paragraph might be written as /2/3 which can be seen as a simplification of XPath and was handled by the browser office I have been working with as simple integer array, making things easy for the office at run-time.

Kind regards,
Svante