Subject: RE: [office-collab] Immutable Change Tracking

Well for floating images I’d say there is a difference between it being  anchored AT a position of being counted as a character. I say this because in Calligra such anchors were until recently implemented as a non printing character, with the downside of having to press cursor key twice to get past it.

From: Svante Schubert [mailto:svante.schubert@gmail.com]
Sent: 15. januar 2016 18:45
To: C. Boemann <cbo@boemann.dk>
Cc: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org

Sorry, my phone sent the mail before I was finished, I will add the latter part now:

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Svante Schubert <svante.schubert@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jan 13, 2016 1:18 PM, "Camilla Boemann" <
cbo@boemann.dk> wrote:

> Hi - long time no write

Nice to have you back!

> What Svante just said has my 100% backing

Always good to read this! ;)

> But I just realized that say 3rd character might not be good enough - because what about control characters – I’d say we shouldn’t count those in general, but our spec should probably specify that fact,

The counting of characters is abstracted from the XML, for instance ODF whitespace handling is applied. Counting of characters is rather equivalent to cursor traveling as our need is to open up a span to select the characters we like to modify unambiguously.

and maybe even specify if say an inline image is counted as a character (I think it should be),

It is indeed counted equivalent as an character. Nevertheless even an image floating somewhere, was by Open-XChange referenced by its position in the XML.

but what about a pagenumber ref (one character or as many as the number takes up when printed – again I’d say one which makes the most sense) – I think we will agree an most if not all of the cases, but for a spec to be foolproof we better specify each and every possible case specifically)

There was a lot of discussion if a field is just metadata on the text or a construct for 3rd party content.

In the end it ease the handling for the developer, if it is seen as an own component, which contains other components (such as text).

> As to never ever change the original (not even on apply) – I am not so sure – we would deprecate the odf spec in that case, as all documents should then better start at an empty document with only changes recorded - on the other hand if we allow changes to be burned into xml then merging documents becomes a bit more problematic.

Only because the content is immutable, does not mean that changes can not be merged in the document view. Like showing the comments on the immutable contract similar to an additional layer. Even all steps of document history can be shown without changing the serialized document model.

The immutable change tracking is for all scenarios possible, but I wonder if applications would go so far to do so.. But if there is demand, there is a market..

Best,

Svante

office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Svante Schubert
patrick@durusau.net>