Subject: IRC log - ODF Collab SC call - 2017-04-05

Call Summary:
Basically, we compared existing real-time solutions with future asynchronous parallel document editing and existing change-tracking.

On the 19th of April will be our next meeting:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2017&month=04&day=19&hour=14&min=30&sec=0&p1=179&p2=37&p3=136&p4=234&iv=1800

The teleconference login data for next call will be found in the OASIS calendar event:
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/event.php?event_id=39519

[16:30] Svante Schubert: Dialing in
[16:43] Svante Schubert: I got in contact with several international office companies. All of them offering real-time collaboration, which allows quick & dirty editing.
[16:44] Svante Schubert: Quick & dirty as conflicting changes are instantly resolved without disturbing the user using heuristics, which try to guess what the user desires.
[16:44] Svante Schubert: Works fine as long the cursors dancing around close together and errors are found and fixed instantly by the users.
[16:45] Svante Schubert: Does not work at all for asynch editing of contract documents, where conflicts have to be made visible to all particiants of the collaboration.
[16:46] Svante Schubert: Existing change-tracking is like doing a ping-pong of the document.
[16:46] Svante Schubert: It is not really asynch
[16:46] Svante Schubert: async like working at the same time on two copies of the same document and merging them later together.
[16:48] Svante Schubert: The second problem of change-tracking is that the reject of a change will not provide any feed-back by the other users.
[16:48] Svante Schubert: Works if there is one single ruler, which decides what is rejected and accepted, but if there are two companies with huge documents it does not work.
[16:49] Svante Schubert: It is not possible for the others to reject a rejection of change-tracking.
[16:51] Svante Schubert: If the other removed the change, I need to have an additional copy of the previous version/state and compare it with the new version to find such rejected changes
[16:54] Patrick: asynch enables working on multiple copies simultaneously as opposed to passing the document around with change tracking
[16:55] Patrick: with new change tracking, could have multiple versions of the same document for merging together
[16:56] Svante Schubert: It might be possible in the future to have multiple copies of a document each with different change-tracking, as long they start from the same state it is quite easy with the new changes approach.