Subject: Re: [office-comment] RELAX NG tools and OfficeOpen.Org DTD

Hello John,

Thanks for your comments.

John Cowan wrote:
> 2) The current state of James's conversion tools, all of which attempt
> to preserve the structure of schemas, is as follows:
>
> 	conversion from RNG (XML syntax) to RNG (compact syntax): exact

Which tool is this? I didn't find the tool in question, so I used an
XSLT script linked from the Relax-NG homepage. This seemed to work fine.

> 	conversion from RNG (either syntax) to DTD
[...]
> 		roundtrips DTD > RNG > DTD conversions correctly

I had problems with this. The RNG syntax generated by DTDinst generated
warnings when converting it back. Maybe I didn't use the latest versions
or something.

> 3) I recommend that the TC *not* loosen "arbitrary" sequences to RNG
> "interleave" or WXS "all".  That provides unneeded syntactic flexibility
> and complicates programs that must interpret the syntax, while not
> helping programs that generate it.

Are you talking about specifying a fixed order of elements, vs.
specifying arbitrary order, but each element may appear only once?

I think I agree. A fixed order is trivial to convert between the
schematas... :-)

Sincerely,
Daniel