Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: elharo@metalab.unc.edu

I'm not sure what the current status of the OpenOffice format draft is. I.e. is it final or not? However, I did find a clear mistake in it that's worth an erratum if it is final, and perhaps some rethinking if it isn't.

Section 1.6 states:

The W3C XML specification [XML1.0]requires that white-space characters are ignored for elements that have element content, in other words that contain elements but not text.

In fact, the XML 1.0 specification requires no such thing. In fact, it requires exactly the opposite:

An XML processor MUST always pass all characters in a document that are not markup through to the application. A  validating XML processor MUST also inform the application which of these characters constitute white space appearing in element content.

An application such as OpenOffice is under no obligation to ignore this white space. It may do so if it chooses. However, the XML spec does not use the word "ignore" here. That's something that snuck in through SAX.

I am just beginning to read the spec, and I am not sure what effect this incorrect belief may have had on the design of the appplication. Possibly it's minor. Possibly it's not. However, the claim that the XML specification requires this, is simply wrong and should be removed from the OpenOffice spec.