Subject: Re: [office-comment] Public Comment

Hi,

comment-form@oasis-open.org wrote:
> Comment from: dwheeler@dwheeler.com
>
> Additional requirement: IPR freedom
>
> Although OASIS rules allow alternatives, for a standardized office format, an additional requirement should be freedom from intellectual property right (e.g., patent) encumberences.  Any vendor, proprietary or open source software, should be able to implement the format without royalty payments.  Any contributing company should be required to verify that they will allow implementation of the standard royalty-free, and efforts should be made to ensure that the format avoids patents that have a reasonable chance of being found valid.

It seems to me that this is address by the TC's charter (see
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/office/charter.php), that states

"Under no circumstances shall the TC accept, during any phase,
contributions that are not granted to all under perpetual, royalty free,
non-discriminatory terms.

This TC shall not finalize or approve a specification if it believes
that the use, distribution, or implementation of such specification
would necessarily require the unauthorized infringement of any party's
rights known to the technical committee, and such party has not agreed
to provide necessary license rights on perpetual, royalty-free,
non-discriminatory terms."

Michael