Subject: Re: [office-comment] 14.5.23 - should support odd-page and even-page,and breaking before and after

David,

the OASIS Open Office specification uses a slightly different way to
specify left and right pages than XSL-FO. In the Open Office
specification, paging is based on so called master pages. A master page
contains for instance the definition of headers and footers, but also
specifies the formatting properties of a page. These are contained in a
so called page layout that is a separate style. It is referenced from
master pages by its name. The page layout contains an attribute called
"style:page-usage" that specifies whether pages that have this page
layout assigned, are always left pages, always right pages, or could be
both. Master pages can be concatenated using the style:next-style-name
attribute. To get an alternative sequence of left and right pages, one
specifies a master page that uses left pages only and one that uses
right pages only, and then concatenates them so that the
style:next-style-name of the first one references the second one and
vice versa.

This has influences on the way page breaks that start a new left or
right page are specified. To specify such a page break, one has to
assign a new master page to a paragraph that uses only left or right
pages. That's done by the style:master-page-name attribute of the

Best regards

Michael Brauer

OASIS Open Office TC chair