Subject: Re: [office-comment] Public Comment

James,

thank you very much for your comments.

Regarding formatting numbers as natural text: OpenDocument differs
between number values and formulas on the hand, and displaying number
values on the other hand. The later one is controlled by the so called
data styles that are described in section 14.7. An RFE for formatting
numbers as natural text would mean that the definitions of these data
styles have to be extended, but that the definition of formulas would
remain the same.

Regarding formula and expression syntax: The fact that the OpenDocument
specification does not specify an exact syntax and semantic for them,
but only a method for including a syntax and semantic defined outside
the OpenDocument specification, has been discussed already several
times. See for instance

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200410/msg00025.html

The TC's current position regarding formula syntax can be found here:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200501/msg00004.html

That is, we have the topic on our agenda, and we have a proposal for a
standard, but we consider the topic to be out of the scope for this
release of the OpenDocument specification. There are from our point of
view also no interoperability issues, because the namespace prefix
mechanism we have specified unambiguously specifies what syntax and
semantics are used for a formula. So I don't think that this situation
can be compared with XSLT, but more with HTML and CSS or HTML and
scripting languages, where HTML also only specifies how styling and
scripting information can be included, but does not specify the syntax
and semantic itself.

Best regards

Michael Brauer

OASIS OpenDocument TC chair

--
Michael Brauer                                Phone:  +49 40 23646 500
Technical Architect Software Engineering      Fax:    +49 40 23646 550