Subject: Re: [office-comment] OpenFormula: Are spreadsheet makers willing to switch to Excel semantics?

I'm not sure if this list is the right place to continue
the OpenFormula discussion, but apparently this seems to
continue without much objection.  So I'll just tag along
with a comment to David's enthusiasm.  I'll take it that
OO is "hosting" the OF discussion :)

I think you appear to be pressing on all the sensitive
points here through a lot of hard work.  As you said,
the Excel formula isn't quite documented, at least to the
outside world.  Would the aim (of OF) then be to
reverse-engineer Excel's formula and semantic behavior
and serialize it into a open specification?  As admirable
as all your hourless investigation seems, it would seem
to be not very productive, nor even feasible, to perform
such a task.   You did some work on identifying boolean,
string and numerical conversions, but what about conversions
between pairs of all other types?  To be complete, one would
need to find out the actual behaviors of all position-ordered
pairs for all operators (eg.  string+error, error+string,
boolean+float, date+string, date+integer, etc), which
may not be commutative due to types of parameters even
when mathematically they should be.

Further, assuming that it's done, the release of another
newer version of Excel will render the spec "incompatible" again.

Please don't get me wrong;  I only hope to share this
concern about the approach that you seem to have taken, and
don't wish to see that your hours are wasted (in my opinion).

I'm happy to be corrected, but what I see now at least is that
if we have a "proper" OpenFormula, one which has an objective
of ensuring proper exchange of formulas with mathematical
correctness, and leave the onus of implementing this serialized
format to the software/applications, then the value-add for
the OpenFormula would be that senders & receivers know the
formulas encoded will be properly "rendered" into expected
mathematical functions in their local systems.  With that then,
it wouldn't matter whether sender is a low-end 486 running older
version of Excel, and receiving side is an open-office spreadsheet
software with software-supported high-precision libraries,
the formulas will be understood properly and calculations will
be done correctly (or else errors flagged correctly).

Isn't that what we want to see for OpenFormula?

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979