Subject: RE: [office-comment] OpenDocument - suggested tweaks for bibliography format

Does anyone need a job in Los Angeles

888-603-6333 ext 89
We are growing

Desktop support, windows, 95 to 2003
Networking, printer...etc

-----Original Message-----
From: David A. Wheeler [mailto:dwheeler@dwheeler.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:24 AM
To: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Cc: office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [office-comment] OpenDocument - suggested tweaks for
bibliography format

John Cowan said:
> I think the only universal answer is to represent full names in two
ways:
> a display version and a sort version.  One could do this with markup
> as
> follows:
> 	<name sortAs='Cowan, John'>John Cowan</name>

I _think_ that would work, or at least be better.

Here's what I'd like; given just the data, I want to be able to change
the biblio format and have it auto-generate correctly.  The problem is
the various formats people use. In the main bibliography, I may want
this:
Cowan, John, David A. Wheeler, and Fred Flintstone.

While other times I want this:
Cowan, John, Wheeler, David A.., Flintstone, Fred.

And other times this (I HATE this one, because it loses important
information, but some standards require it):
Cowan, J., Wheeler, D.A., Flintstone, F.

And the reference might be [Cowan 2000], or [Cow2000], or some such.

I guess for Western names a "sortas" field, along with comma conventions
for its contents to at least make western names work, would be an
improvement.

There are naming standards, but the truly internationalized ones are so
complicated that they're practically never used.

--- David A. Wheeler