Subject: Re: [office-comment] OpenDocument Draft 3: Use "application/xml" instead of "text/xml"

On Sunday 06 March 2005 15:19, John Cowan wrote:
> David Faure scripsit:
>
> > However I don't see why non-packaged OpenDocument files ("flat xml") shouldn't
> > use a real OASIS mimetype instead of text/xml or application/xml.
> > After all we want to launch OpenDocument-aware applications (e.g. OOo or KOffice)
> > when clicking on such files, not raw XML editors.
>
> On the contrary, I think it's very unreasonable to expect applications
> to understand both the packaged format and the separate files which
> make it up -- and in any case, which make no sense one without the other.

Hmm sure, I wasn't talking about the separate XML files (which indeed are not
self-container, and therefore only good for an XML editor).

I was talking about the "all-in-one", aka "flat-xml", format, which is self-contained
and therefore appropriate for any OpenDocument-compliant application.
Section 1.7 is about "office documents that [...] are not contained in a package",
not individual files inside a package.