Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: dennis.hamilton@acm.org

Name: Dennis E. Hamilton
Title: System Architect
Regarding Specification: OPenDocument 1.0

I just noticed in a note by Dare Obasanjo (http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=1b3704e1-6307-4423-bae8-4189face6ee3) that there may be some cross-platform interchange difficulties (including inside Zip files) with OpenDocument XML files depending on whether there are Byte Order Marks on the UTF16 and UTF8 encodings.

Although I asked about XML prologs before, it may also be important to address (or point out) that UTF16 encodings will undoubtedly have Byte Order Marks, and UTF8 encodings may have Byte Order Marks.  Sometimes these even show up on the wire in HTTP requests and responses (and after the HTTP headers).