Subject: Tables: default-cell-style-name interpretation

Hello Technical Committee members,

there was already a discussion on the opendocument-users mailing list about
the default-cell-style-name (@dcsn) attribute of column and row styles ("How
to interpret the default-cell-style-name attribute in spreadsheets"). So, I
will not repeat all this here. Just a short summary:

OO.o Calc assigns @dcsn only to the cells in the used are.
KSpread assigns it to the whole column/row.

(As I said: short! ;-)

What I want is to inform you about _my_ observations and _my_ conclusion of
the discussion. Maybe we'll get then to a clarification...

1. There's nothing explicitly mentioned in the current spec, which says that
the @dcsn should be used for the used area only.

2. The only interpretation, that allows the @dcsn to be applied to the used
area, results in different @dcsn interpretations for spreadsheet and
non-spreadsheet apps.

3. Applying the @dcsn to the used area only would mean an exception as all
other column/row attributes apply to the whole column/row.

4. The usage of the brevity argument seems higher as the usage of
whole "row/col styles"

Conclusion:
The @dcsn should be applied to the whole column/row.

And here are my proposals to clarify the spec:

1. Split the third paragraph of 8.1 "Basic Table Model", so it becomes more
obvious, that the rendering part belongs to both kind of apps. It would also
increase the readability.

2. Clarify, that the spreadsheet loading part refers to the dimension of the
spreadsheet app, not the dimension of the saved doc. It's already given
by 'just like in an empty sheet', but obviously it's not definite enough.

3. The spec should be extended to make use of the brevity approach. E.g. by
introducing two cell attributes "style-columns-repeated"
and "style-rows-repeated". A cell, lying in the repeated range, use this
style, except the cell sets its own. The repeated range belongs to the used
area. This would be even more flexible and brevity comes to its optimum,
because you can define style repetitions starting at an arbitrary cell
instead of being fixed to columns or rows.

That's it already. A clarification of the @dcsn interpretation is highly
welcomed. At least by me. ;-)

Regards,
Stefan