Subject: [Fwd: Re: Suggestions how to align ODF metadata attributes with W3CRDFa attributes]

FYI, the answer of Ivan Herman (W3C).

Regards,
Svante

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH           Svante Schubert
Nagelsweg 55                    Software Engineer
20097 Hamburg                   StarOffice / OpenOffice.org Development
Germany                         Phone: +49(0)40 236 46 500
http://www.sun.com              Svante.Schubert@sun.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028

--- Begin Message ---
Dear Svante,

thanks for this. (I hope this mail will get to all the right mailing
lists; can you confirm? Thanks.) I also have to apologize in the delay
in answering this: I was on a trip last week, and I also wanted to check
with my colleagues some details.

The current status with the RDFa names is that, indeed, they are defined
without a specific namespace. Maybe, in future, they will, but the
certainly not within the time range of your work. Consequently, defining
your own, Oasis namespace is indeed the only proper way to go. Your
proposal of using the same names and essentially the same semantics for
those attributes means that we can achieve the maximal interoperability
at the present state, despite the fact that you cannot formally refer to
a W3C namespace.

A further note is on the usage of CURIE-s. At the moment CURIE-s are
part of the RDFa specification and it is unclear whether they will
become a separate, ie, separately referencable W3C recommendation. Even
if they will, it will not happen soon. This means that you will have to,
essentially, copy the relevant part of the RDFa specification and
include the text in your document. That part of RDFa is not likely to
change.

One additional remark that I already made (I think) to some of you but
not on this mailing list: you might want to think about publishing a
GRDDL[1] functionality to make an easy conversion of the content
metadata in this, say Oasis-RDFa form to RDF/XML. It is a very cheap
mechanism: you have to creat an XSLT transform doing that (which should
not be very complicated in this case); the namespace should be
dereferencable to a document; and that should contain some additional
links to that XSLT transform. That is it. The gain might be that
external GRDDL processors could get to the RDF content easily. You can
look at:

http://ns.inria.fr/grddl/rdfa/

which is (temporary, but functionally complete) profile document for
RDFa with a reference to Fabien Gandon's XSLT transformation for RDFa:

http://ns.inria.fr/grddl/rdfa/2007/09/19/RDFa2RDFXML.xsl

Essentially, the same structure should be done for your case.

Thanks!

Sincerely

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/

Svante Schubert wrote:

> I would like to make a few suggestions how we might improve our
> alignment of in content metadata attributes to the upcoming RDFa
> standard [1].
>
>    1. We should adopt attribute local names according to the latest
>       draft of RDFa [1]. As the W3C invented I believe they have the
>       authority to name it.
>           *
>
>             Rename data-type to datatype
>

>           *
>
>             Rename data-value to content
>

>    2. We should adopt the RDFa CURI datatypes. ODF would benefit as well
>       from the ease/shortage of writing and would avoid future
>       incompatibilities.
>    3. We should provide an own Oasis based namespace for the RDFa
>       attributes in ODF (reason below).
>       Adapt the prefix from 'm' to 'rdfa', changing the namespace
>       'http://docs.oasis-open.org/opendocument/meta#' to
>       'http://docs.oasis-open.org/opendocument/meta/rdfa#'
>
> By suggesting an own namespace for the RDFa attributes in ODF, the
> attributes will be indeed different to the latest W3C RDFa attributes
> [1], which have currently no namespace as they have been drafted mainly
> for the use in HTML.
>
> I believe that in the end we all desire to reference the W3C RDFa
> recommendation and reuse existing RDFa functionality and syntax, but I
> fear this is not possible for ODF 1.2 as I see the need of namespaces
> for ODF XML attributes to be able to avoid name clashes for the future.
>
> Unfortunately even if there would be namespaces in the W3C draft, the
> ODF spec would not be able to use it now, as we are only allowed to
> reference stable standards, while the W3C RDFa spec is currently still a
> working draft and not a W3C Recommendation.
> As well the solution to predefine a W3C namespace in the ODF spec is not
> an option as we as an OASIS group are not allowed to define a W3C namespace.
>
> That leaves us to the option of an own namespace for RDFa attributes in
> ODF 1.2 and changing them later (for instance in ODF 1.3), after the W3C
> RDFa has become a standard using namespaced attributes to be reused for
> other XML vocabularies (e.g. as specified for the xlink attributes. We
> would than mark the previous ODF RDFa attribute set as deprecated.
>
> The only official way for reusing the identical RDFa attributes in ODF
> 1.2 is that the W3C RDFa group could provide us with a Recommendation
> before ODF 1.2 is finished and this is unlikely due to the time issue.
>
> PS:
> Although it is certainly up to the RDFa group to decide how to solve the
> problem between the HTML and XML community, it might be an option to
> define two attribute syntax for the same semantic. One without namespace
> for the HTML context and one with namespace for the XML vocabularies.
>
> @all:
> To make it possible to let the W3C, esp. Ivan, participate in this
> discussion I would further suggest to review and CC as well the office
> [...]

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

--- End Message ---