Subject: Re: [office-comment] Change Tracking issue

Bryce,

Just a quick question about a very interesting proposal:

I think change tracking is important when specifying a document format.
True, change tracking may be implemented by a variety of means but
having a common format that links those changes (however managed at the
application level) to a document seems to me to be essential to a
document format.

And for most office applications, I suspect that "in document" models
for change tracking probably hit the sweet spot for the average user.

Having said that, I don't think that one size necessarily fits all and
for enterprise authoring environments, I would like to see discussion of
alternative proposals for management of change tracking. It could well
be that the ODF format should have "in document" default change tracking
and allow a declaration of another location/application for tracking of
changes but using an ODF defined format.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick