Subject: Re: The second para of 4.3.2 of ODF 1.0

Makoto,

An interesting question. My provisional response below.

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:
> The second para is shown below:
>
> 	The first line in a list item is preceded by a bullet or
> 	number, depending on the list style assigned to the list. If
> 	a list item starts another list immediately and does not
> 	contain any text, no bullet or number is displayed.
>
> Consider a nested list shown below.
>
>   mammal
>   fish
>     fresh water fish
>   reptile
>
> If numbers are added, we have
>
>   1) mamal
>   2) fish
>     - fresh water fish
>   3) reptrile
>
> What happens when the string "fish" is removed?
>
>   1) mamal
>     - fresh water fish
>   3) reptrile
>
> or
>

>   1) mamal
>     - fresh water fish
>   2) reptrile
>
> ?

I think it is going to depend upon what you mean by "string 'fish'"
removed?

The disadvantage here is that we are working with displayed text and not
markup.

Let's use the example from that section in ODF 1.0:

I have inserted XML comments <!-- numbering --> to indicate what I think
the numbering should be, along with some reason for it.

<text:list text:style-name="List 1">
<!-- first line in list item so clearly gets a bullet or a number -->
<text:list-item>
<text:p>This is the first list item</text:p>
<text:p>This is a continuation of the first list item.</text:p>
</text:list-item>
<text:list-item>
<!-- Doesn't "immediately start another list so I would say gets the
next number/bullet -->
<text:p>This is the second list item.
It contains a sub list.</text:p>
<text:list>
<!-- None of these start a list so all have some numbering/bulleting
assigned to them. -->
<text:list-item><text:p>This is a sub list item.</text:p>
<text:list-item><text:p>This is a sub list item.</text:p>
<text:list-item><text:p>This is a sub list item.</text:p>
</text:list>
</text:list-item>
<text:list-item>
<!-- Just standard numbering -->
<text:p>This is the third list item</text:p>
</text:list-item>
</text:list>

But, if we change that to be:

<text:list-item>
<!-- Now I have commented out the content and so another list does
immediately start.
<text:p>This is the second list item.
It contains a sub list.</text:p> -->
<text:list>
<!-- None of these start a list so all have some numbering/bulleting
assigned to them. -->
<text:list-item><text:p>This is a sub list item.</text:p>
<text:list-item><text:p>This is a sub list item.</text:p>
<text:list-item><text:p>This is a sub list item.</text:p>
</text:list>
</text:list-item>

So, just my own personal read then the answer to:
> Is the following prohibited?
>
>   1) mamal
>   2)
>     - fresh water fish
>   3) reptrile

is yes.

That seems counter-intuitive to me but I may simply be over-reading or
mis-reading the text.

I will ask others on the TC and see what we can resolve on this one.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau