Subject: Re: [office-comment] [office-formula] predraft 8 of 2007-12-28,section 6.9.6, function days360 comment

Not wishing to divert from the current subject line (and/but since we
are on the topic of[office-comment] [office-formula]... I thought that
it might be appropriate at this time to draw attention a particular
question that was raised some time ago with regards to the absence of an
Economic Rate of Return (ERR) Functionality within Lotus 1-2-3,
OpenOffice Calc... Thus, as a point of reference here is an extract from
a 1998 Lotus Development Corporation communication;

"Re: Concerning the issues with 1-2-3 that are talked about in the
documentation you gave me, most of the issues are related to converting
files between older and newer versions of product and converting
documents between Lotus and Microsoft. Anytime a file is saved backwards
or saved with an older file format than the format the file was created
under, such as saving a 1-2-3 , 97 file for Windows 95 into a WK1 format
for DOS, then naturally we are expected to loose certain features due to
technology and features that are present now that were not present 8 -
10 years ago. Similarly, if we try to convert a file from Lotus into
Excel or Excel into Lotus, due to differences in the products not every
feature will be converted perfectly with the file filters that are
available. Both Lotus and Microsoft create similar spreadsheet programs;
however, there are several differences in both programs and these
differences will remain to distinguish the products apart. We do try to
design conversion filters that will allow as much of the file formats as
possible to be exchanged and converted without disrupting the actual
file design and format.

In one of your letters you made mention of the @IRR and @ERR functions
in the 1-2-3 product. By design the @IRR (notably "absent" in Open
Office) will calculate the Internal Rate of Return; where the @ERR is
used in conjunction with other formulas, posted was an "ERR" showing an
error was received in the calculations. As far as I can see in the
program I cannot find an @ERR function that will allow us to calculate
an Economic Rate of Return"

 From the above, is anyone in a position to say if any of the current
Spread Sheets (Lotus 1-2-3, Excel, Open Office Calc...) that are
available on the market can successfully convert from Internal Rate of
Return (IRR) to Economic Rate Of Return (ERR) values; also, whether or
not there are ongoing activities to have the Economic Rate of Return
functionality integrated into Lotus 1-2-3, Open Office Calc et cetera et
cetera and whether this Functionality has been agreed by the
International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO)

Thanks you.

Kindest regards,

Sheldon A. Britton