Subject: Re: [office-comment] Conceptual Problem: Ambiguity for Names usedin Formulas

Hello David, dear list-members,

David A. Wheeler wrote:
> Leonard Mada:
>
>> Thanks for the clarification.
>> Though, a small nitpick if I am allowed:
>> Cell references are marked/surrounded by: [...]
>> I wonder IF a proper tag wouldn't be more future oriented.
>> Something like:
>> <ref>....</ref>
>> and
>> <name>...</name>
>> (or something similar)
>>

> We don't want to do that SPECIFIC thing.  These are contained as
> attributes inside an XML file, so using XML markings would probably
> be confusing.  In any case, it's not needed.

Well, references are currently saved as '[...]', but I would like to see
more vector-capabilities in spreadsheets.

Now, unfortunately square brackets ('[...]') make an excellent way to
access vectors (or series, arrays and all the fun stuff). So, there
might come a time, when even spreadsheets will want to have such an
operator. Of course, then it becomes necessary to store references
differently [storing is necessary, because otherwise it might conflict
with named ranges & expressions].

Also, I already proposed some time ago to implement strong typing in
spreadsheets and a lengthy discussion did ensue. Strong typing will come
at some point.

This creates the requirement to store the unit, so any value will have
some tags associated with it. Arguably, named ranges/expressions could
be evaluated at run-time, but it would be more efficient to store the
unit. While this does NOT directly support my request, IF you already
have to store a specific tag, why NOT have tags even for the named
ranges/expressions in the first part?

And then, why use a hybrid store-mechanism, and why not store everything
as pure xml?
[I do not understand much of xml, I'll let the experts work this out.]

My main concern is however a different one. Named ranges/expressions are
just 2 possible objects. Arguably, spreadsheets did NOT implement
anything more advanced up to date, but professional programs do exist
that permit defining more complex objects. And spreadsheets will follow
at some time, too. [see the S+ language as implemented e.g. in R,
http://www.R-project.org, and other mathematical and science languages]

I would strongly oppose adding a new identifier (like '[', '{', what
else? ) for every new type of object.

Sincerely,

Leonard Mada

P.S. I am subscribed to this list, so there is NO need to cc me a copy ;-)