Subject: Re: [office-comment] Implicit conversion and medical data

David,

David A. Wheeler wrote:
> Patrick Durusau:
>
>> Your mentioning of implicit conversion reminded me of a use case where
>> conversions resulted in *unrecoverable* changes to gene names.
>>
>> Or, in the summary by the authors:
>>

>>> A little detective work traced the problem to default date format
>>> conversions and floating-point format conversions in the very useful
>>> Excel program package. The date conversions affect at least 30 gene
>>> names; the floating-point conversions affect at least 2,000 if Riken
>>> identifiers are included. These conversions are irreversible; the
>>> original gene names cannot be recovered.
>>>
>> You can see the whole article at:
>> http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/5/80
>>
>> Is this an application level issue, i.e., should come with default
>> conversions disabled, or something that the standard should address?
>>

> It doesn't have anything to do with Formulas. It really doesn't have
> anything to do with the OpenDocument format, either.

Well, but so far as I can tell there is no prohibition in place in
OpenDocument to prevent someone from constructing an application that
behaves as you describe even though it is using OpenDocument format. Yes?
> You can see the basic issue here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q214233
>
> Here's the issue:
> * When you type text into Excel, it tries to automatically figure out what
>    kind of data it is (date, number, ordinary string, etc.). By itself, that's fine;
>    there are ways to override that when you type in data directly into Excel, or
>    when you manually invoke an "Import" of data (by identifying specific columns
>    as "text").  BUT....
> * If a second program invokes Excel and gives it an "import" command,
>    telling Excel to read in data from other data formats, it uses
>    those same automatic conversions, and there's no easy way to disable it.
>    Corrupting the data.
>
> The only reasonable solution is to pre-process the data BEFORE it's loaded into
> Excel (e.g., by inserting a space before the data).
>
> I don't see how OpenDocument's spec can control the functionality of an
> app when reading in _NON_ OpenDocument files.  We could give a warning
> about the issue somewhere, but it's really about the functionality of loading in
> NON-OpenDocument files.

I think a warning, whether in the standard or not is another issue,
would be a good idea. I would assume data corruption would be something
of interest to the soon to be formed implementation/interoperability TC.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau