Subject: Re: [office-comment] Re: [office] Date and Timezone: draft text

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 07/06/2008 06:09:10 AM:

> >> I think it'd be great to extend spreadsheets to provide proper
> >> support for timezones, but that turns out to be:
> >> 1. Nontrivial.
> >> 2. Implemented by NO spreadsheets
>
> But required for common business purposes IMHO.
> The argument would be reasonable for a toy application.
> Not for the target audience of ODF.

Dave, if no spreadsheets support it -- not Excel, not OpenOffice, not
Symphony, not Quattro, not Google, not KSpread, not Gnumeric, not 1-2-3 --
then it is hard to seriously assert that it is a common scenario that is
required for the target audience of ODF.

I'm open to extending the state of the art, certainly.  I'd like to do a
lot of that in ODF 1.3.  But we need to be perceptive in our analysis of
what the state of the art is today.  That is what we are targeting in
OpenFormula 1.0 -- harmonization of what is already out there.

The last thing I want to do is damper anyone's enthusiasm for defining the
next generation of spreadsheet analytics. I want to see this done as well.
 But OpenFormula 1.0 is not where this happens.

-Rob