Subject: Re: [office-comment] <text:s> element (etc) needs to be removed (ODF1.2)

Alex,

Alex Brown wrote:
> The <text:s> element is used by ODF to represent space characters in
> text content.
>
> Instead, the standard mechanism for representing space characters should
> be used: i.e. space characters.
>
> The current mechanism is confusing and contradicts/subverts the existing
> Unicode-based mechanism of XML.
>
> The same goes for <text:tab> and <text:line-break>

I think you are missing the interaction of these elements with the
white-space handling rules for paragraphs declared in 5.1.1. There are
specific white-space rules for paragraphs and other elements. More
specifically the rule is "collapse" so simply using additional "space
characters" as you say, will not provide the desired result.

Granted, this is one of those cases where I personally would prefer
draconian rules that force users into good behavior using styles but
successful applications (and I suspect formats) accommodate the desires
of users, even ones that we don't experience ourselves. ;-)

Would the "confusion" you sense be reduced if we added text that
specifically mentions the representation of space, tab, line-break by
elements as avoiding the application of the white-space handling rule?
They are currently subclauses of the white-space handling clause. That
seems self-evident to me but I am way too close to the text to be a
reliable judge on that score.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--