Subject: Re: [office-comment] Passive voice verb phrases

Alex,

Alex Brown wrote:
> Paul hi
>

>>> I think what the author intended here was "whitespace characters in
>>>
>> elements DECLARED TO HAVE ONLY element content are ignored".
>>
>> Laying aside the merits of the comment, this should be rephrased in
>> active voice using requirement keywords.
>>

> Right, so you'd prefer something like:
>
> "An ODF processor shall ignore whitespace in elements declared to have only element content" ?
>
> I agree that is better.
>
> I wonder, did all the passive voicing derive from the fact that the narrative was originally a commentary spun around the schema?

I can't say for sure but I do know that removing the schema has forced
the text to be more direct in may ways. For example, I encountered only
yesterday a reference to "the following attributes." In the original
context that made perfect sense since it was followed by a schema
fragment. Granted that is incorrect standards prose in my opinion but
understandable in its original context.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net