Subject: RE: [office-comment] CD01 -- 8.2.1 Referencing Table Cells

Patrick hi

I appreciate the intent in 1.1.

Clearly if ODF 1.1 stated that implementations had to conform to all the
semantic provisions of the spec, then a large class of legitimate and
useful applications could never claim to be conformant.

However, the wording in 1.5 went way too far, by allowing *all*
conforming applications to ignore *anything*.

The solution to this is to have something like the "application
description" feature that was introduced into OOXML during its BRM --
yes, there were one or two sensible decisions made there ;-)

Broadly, this allows implementers to define feature sets. OOXML has two
pre-defined feature sets ("full" and "minimal" IIRC), and provides a
mechanism to define more. Feature sets are identified by URIs.
Application developers can then indicate which "application description"
they are claiming conformance too.

I think this is a really elegant way to solve this problem; it would
also neatly solve the conformance class issue you have, since you could
define application descriptions for "strict" and "extended" (only the
latter would produce foreign XML).

This approach is already standardised in 29500, so ODF could just borrow
it. In fact, I believe your TC charter recommends that as a good general
approach :-)

- Alex.

<alexb@griffinbrown.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > As the discussion between Rob and Dennis on Rob's latest blog
entry
> > shows, this whole conformance question is - at the least - highly
> > debatable. I really can't see how any statement about it can be
> > reasonably qualified by an "in fact".
> >
> > I accept that challenge. "In fact, the ODF specification is highly
> > ambiguous." :-)
> >
> > --
> > Universal Interoperability Council
> > <http:www.universal-interop-council.org>
> >
> > --
> > This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
> > OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument)
TC.