Subject: Re: [office-comment] Schema copyright

Dear all

I believe Alex is correct here.  Murata-san I don't think it makes any difference whether there is an explicit copyright claim on the schema or not.  The assumption of copyright ownership is implicit unless there is an explicit statement placing the document into the public domain.  (IMHO this is also an example of archaeic thinking but that is another matter).

But the point is not the copyright claim in this case, it is the licence which is granted for its distribution and use.   When users download the standard text and schema from OASIS public document repository they find in the front matter of the standard (page 3) both a copyright statement as well as a comprehensive licence text which confirms the liberal terms referred to by Rob.  But on the schema there is no such text, no click-through licence, just the copyright statement: Copyright © 2002-2009 OASIS Open.  I agree that this might create uncertainty.

A schema is a slightly different animal to the text standard.  It is expected to be distributed widely together with program code so I agree that it needs an explicit granting of rights.  Particulalrly if the default licence of the ISO26300 version will be the ITTF terms.

I am not entirely sure if BSD like terms are absolutely appropriate but perhaps it is the best approximation for what we want.  The problem with a standard schema is that, unlike free software source code, you don't really want it to be freely modified.  To take an extreme example, I should not be able to replace the entire content of the schema with something different and still distribute it as the odf schema.

Perhaps what is required is something like the restrictions of the historic apache 1.0 licence (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-1.0) whereby I should be absolutely free to distribute the schema unmodified, but if I make modifications I must remove all references to ODF, OASIS, SUN, ISO, ITTF or what have you.

But as Rob says this is an issue which the TC doesn't have jurisdiction over.  But perhaps if we flag the issue we might see that it gets attention.  I certainly don't want to end up downloading the schema under ITTF draconian terms.

Regards
Bob