Subject: Re: ODF 1.2 CD03 (all versions) 17.3.13 (dateOrDateTime)

see below,

2009/10/8 Jesper Lund Stocholm <4a4553504552@gmail.com>:

> Section 17.3.13 (dateOrDateTime) has the following text:
>
> "A dateOrDateTime value is essentially an [xmlschema-2] date and time
> value with an optional time component. In other words, it may contain
> either a date, or a date and time value."
>
> Problem:
>
> It is unclear to me what "essentially" means. Does the value sometimes
> not contain an xmlschema-2 date and time value?
>
> Proposed solution:
>
> Make it clear that either:
>
> 1) a dateOrTime value is defined (and must conform to) as specified in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028/#dateTime
> (basically the reference that is already used)
>
> 2) add descriptive text to the specification with examples of when
> "essentially" applies and when "essentially" does not apply.
>
> I would encourage ODF TC to go with "option 1". It would enable
> maximum reuse of existing libraries conforming to "xsd:datetime".

A further comment,

As this data type is used in <table:table-cell> attribute
office:date-value, the ambiguity of the specification bubbles all the
way up to calculations in spreadsheets. It is imo extremely important
to have an unambiguous specification of the date format in ODF -
otherwise calculations on dates in spreadsheets will rely on
(error-prone) asumptions while parsing text - possibly leading to
faulty calculations.

--
Jesper Lund Stocholm
www.idippedut.dk