Subject: Spreadsheet: Maximum Grid-Size

Dear TC members,

just a general comment and question regarding:
http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-1138

I prefer to reference entire columns in formulas: e.g. SUM($A:$A) - this
is currently NOT working in OOo, but works in Excel.

The big advantage of this reference is, that whatever the number of
records in column A, I always will get the correct result. So, whenever
possible, it is much preferable over selecting a range.

This is also a very good way to define named ranges, as the named range
will be unaffected by inserting or deleting rows.

I hope that ODF (and OOo Calc) will support this feature in the future.

Now, moving back to the original issue and my old comment regarding the
maximum grid size.

Supposedly, we will have the $A:$A feature.

And suppose that a clever implementation has an infinite grid size. Does
this mean that NO other implementation will be able to open that
spreadsheet, because on encountering =SUM($A:$A) it must fail?

Therefore, setting the grid-size also has direct consequences on the
implementation and limits the implementation to the classical way.

And how should the grid-size be stored in this spreadsheet? Like (Inf,
Inf)? Do we have an "Inf"-keyword?

If the grid-size is such a needed feature, than I propose to add the
"Inf" keyword, to define an infinite grid-size.

It would be nice to know, how the various spreadsheet programs will
behave when "Inf" is set as grid-size (e.g. max row-size=Inf).

Sincerely,

Leonard