Subject: Re: [office-comment] Proposal to improve change tracking in ODF

Following a further request I am attaching everything except the
software to make it run!

DeltaXML-TC4-no-dependencies.tar.gz is similar to DeltaXML-TC4.tar.gz
mentioned in the previous email below (accessed at
http://www.deltaxml.com/library/articles-and-papers.html ), but has had
its dependencies removed (to make attachment smaller and for copyright
reasons).

To run the sample tests (iteratively rollback changes using supplied
XSLT, RelaxNG and Schematron validate) you will need to re-instate the
various dependencies including java and ant and these:
 Xerces-J 2.9.0
 Saxon B 9.1.0.7j
 msv 20090415
 schematron-iso 2010-04-14
 testng 5.11

We'd strongly suggest using these exact versions (available from the
appropriate download sites), rather than using operating system package
managers or maven dependency systems which tend to download the latest
versions, and then adjusting build.xml to their install locations. Or
just download from http://www.deltaxml.com/library/articles-and-papers.html
which has everything in it in the right places and so would be a lot
easier! It is about 5Mb.

Regards,
Robin

Robin LaFontaine wrote:
> I have been asked to include the design document and RelaxNG, which
> are attached.
> Robin
>
> Robin LaFontaine wrote:
>> Proposal to improve change tracking in ODF
>>
>> The existing ODF track change mechanism is limited in its scope and some
>> of its semantics are not well defined. Limitations (based on OOo
>> implementation) include:
>> - insert/delete/modify of format or style changes
>> - table cell/row/column insert/delete
>> - image insert/delete/modify
>> - add/delete frames (obect, image, text frame)
>>
>> We were asked to look at these issues and the attached document lists
>> the requirements that were identified for an improved tracked changes
>> representation in ODF, and work done to propose a solution. The overall
>> objective was to develop a more generic approach which would widen the
>> selection of ODF elements and attributes where changes can be tracked.
>> This will provide improved support for applications needing to represent
>> changes.
>>
>> The proposal includes a RelaxNG grammar for a track change format, which
>> can work either as a complementary grammar to ODF or integrated with it
>> (and a partial integration with CD05 is included). Also include are:
>> - a Schematron checker for a document with tracked changes,
>> - over 50 examples of how it would work for specific changes
>> (hand-crafted but checked against Schematron and the grammar),
>> - XSLT code to extract the latest version of a document from a
>> tracked-change document,
>> - XSLT code to roll-back the latest change
>>
>> This is too large to attach to this email so a copy of the documentation
>> of the format and all the supporting code can be downloaded here:
>> http://www.deltaxml.com/library/articles-and-papers.html
>>
>> We would like the technical committee to consider this approach and
>> adopting it as a complementary grammar and/or integrated with ODF
>> RelaxNG (where they are the experts and will do a better job than we are
>> able to do!).
>>
>> We hope this will prove useful in the development of ODF.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Robin

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Change control for XML"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK

DeltaXML-TC4-no-dependencies.tar.gz