Subject: PRD02 Pt 1, dimensions of variability

Dear all,

----b
An ODF Consumer shall use application settings to alter application behavior only within the dimensions of variability permitted by this standard.
----e

Noting that this is a normative constraint, how can it be determined whether a consumer is behaving "within the dimensions of variability permitted by this standard" ?

The W3C note on dimensions of variability envisage the "dimensions" as 7 axes upon which conformance designs can have a location. Thus *everything* is "within" the dimensions of variability -- the point is (I take it) to avoid certain extremities in any dimension.

This is really quite meaningless as a normative constraint. (If the TC disagrees, I'd like to know how they'd propose testing for it!)

- Alex.