Subject: Re: [office-comment] c/o office-collab: Regarding ODF Collaboration.

Hi Patrick,

sorry for the late response.

Wrt. to your questions:

> 1) Should improvements to change tracking be limited to operations on
> the document? In other words, shouldn't change tracking encompass
> metadata such as the change author, date, position (in a series of
> changes) and the like?

If you mean meta-information about the change's author, grouping etc.
of course. I'm not quite sure why you assume otherwise.

> 2) Should change tracking be moved to metadata and hence possibly to
> outside of the document storage? Perhaps by specialized applications?
> Thinking that storing XML-based change tracking in the document places a
> real burden on the primary application.

Hmm ---- interesting. I think ODF MetaData are powerful enough for
sure ;-) However change tracking is a quite substantial part of an
office format. Maybe moving change tracking to meta-data kind of makes
them a "second-class citizen" compared to the "first-class ODF tags"
and forces everyone to implement ODF MetaData --- which nobody has
done yet I think.

In my opinion the existing ODF style mechanism can be used. In other
words: We could use the same mechanism as e.g. marking a text "hidden"
to attach change-tracking and change-tracking-meta-data.

I think these are all valid options. I just wanted to point out in my
mail that I think ODF change tracking should be done at the "ODF
level" (i.e. tacking user imposed changes) rather than at the "XML
level" (i.e. tracking ODF/XML changes) or at the text level (i.e.
using LCS-based diff). And I still believe that a decent ODF change
tracking can be build upon the existing ODF change tracking.

Thanks for the feedback,

Florian