Subject: Re: [office-comment] Proposal for new document element, "Document history"

Hi Dennis,

> An in-document versioning/snapshot model that is also designed
> to avoid redundant replication is very interesting (though I
> have a nagging concern for existing IP that may be out there
> on this kind of provision).   It also seems to me that we are
> talking of some sort of cross-session Undo/Redo prospect,
> since all of the information seems to be retained for that
> (including accepted changes, more than the current retention
> of only those changes needing-review-approval-rejection determination).

If you download a copy of AbiWord, you will notice the option 'Full history'
which indeed tracks down all that happens to a document. This is an option
in that software which has been around for a long time.

I don't think you need massive changes to the standard in order to
enable efficient document versions. You could use a URI fragment ID like
xlink:href="/Versions/Version1#IMAGES/image.png" to refer to
an object inside another object (in this case the embedded file).
If there is a patent on that, that would be pathetic - ample prior art.
The 'current' version of the document then does not have to hold the
same object, it can use the archived version just as it would a remote
object - e.g. an image on a webserver. If the user starts editing
such an object, the application should make a copy of that file
to the active document and change the reference over to that new
file in the package - at which point it will not be a duplicate
anymore. If he or she removes the object, you just remove the
reference. So both cases are easy - and this would mean a
a huge improvement in file size.

Thanks for your questions, I hope the TC will find some use for
the answers I provided.

Best,
Michiel Leenaars
NLnet Foundation