Subject: Re: [office-comment] marking directionality of text inside a paragraph

2011/10/18, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni@mail.huji.ac.il>:
<snip />
> Just for comparison: OpenOffice doesn't try to handle inline
> directionality at all. Microsoft Word tries to handle it automatically
> by assuming inline directionality according to the keyboard layout;
> for example, when the user switches the keyboard layout from English
> to Hebrew, Word adds a virtual <span dir="rtl">-like thing at that
> point. Unfortunately, Word doesn't provide any way to remove this
> virtual direction marker except deleting the characters surrounding
> it, and it doesn't provide any way to change the directionality of
> text that was already written.

It seems OOo handles inline directionality quite well. I enabled
support for CTL in the 'Tools => Options ... => Language Settings =>
Languages' section. Then I copy-pasted the name from the e-mail. There
seems to be a problem with punctuation, though.

A document at http://www.smi.uib.no/ksv/ArabicProgsx.html#funct
provides more detail.

Hope this can help somewhat somehow.

;)Frode