Subject: Re: [office-comment] marking directionality of text inside a paragraph

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 11:41 -0600, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> Modern operating environments take care of right-to-left character
> ordering, usually without the need for further intervention, so
> OpenOffice doesn't need to do much about it (although it probably does
> something). The ordering of punctuation, however, is ambiguous, and
> without manual settings it is often shown incorrectly. It is
> reasonably easy in manually-coded HTML, it is not-so-great in MS-Word
> and it is impossible in OpenDocument (unless i am missing something).
> I am not familiar with any program that allows to do it with a GUI and
> without manual coding.

I am still not quite sure why you say it is "impossible in
OpenDocument"?

I note that your previous messages referred to OpenOffice. While there
is clearly a relationship between what is possible in OpenOffice and
what can be stored in OpenDocument Format, there are clearly many things
that are storable in OpenDocument Format (without the use of foreign
attributes) that are not supported in OpenOffice.

And I would like to think that anything can be done in OpenDocument by
using its extension mechanism (of course that would likely lead to
problems with interoperability).

Andreas
--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA