Subject: Re: [office-comment] Definition of draw:angle in ODF1.2 does not fit to implementation

On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 13:39 -0600, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Hi members,
>
> the definitions of the attributes draw:angle (19.112) and
> draw:rotation(19.209) do not fit to the actual implementations.
>
> The definitions refer to the data type angle in section 18.3.1:
> "An angle, as defined in §4.1 of [SVG]. An angle is a double value that
> may be followed immediately by one of the following angle unit
> identifiers: deg (degrees), grad (gradiants) or rad (radians). If no
> unit identifier is specified, the value is assumed to be in degrees."
>
> The actual implementations use the value without unit but they interpret
> it as having unit 0.1 degrees and they use data type integer.

I would consider this a bug in the implementations. That should be fixed
there. The specs with regard to  draw:rotation(19.209) is completely
specified. The spec for draw:angle (19.112) is indeed missing the
direction of rotation. (Of course it could argued that in the absence of
a specification the standard mathematical angle measurement would
apply.)

> I have tested PowerPoint, LibreOffice, Symphony, and Apache OpenOffice
> so far. I haven't got a Linux system and cannot test Calligra.

Note that Gnumeric follows the specification in that a missing
identifier means "deg".

> The attribute draw:angle is only used with the elements draw:gradient
> and draw:opacity and the attribute draw:rotation is only used with the
> element draw:hatch. So a change for these attributes would not effect
> other places in the spec. For ODF1.3 I suggest to deprecate them in
> favor of a solution nearer to SVG.
>
> To align the spec with the existing implementations I suggest:
> (1) Remove the reference to section 18.3.1
> (2) Specify that a value n is treated as n*0.1 degrees.
> (3) Perhaps constrain the value to integer.
>
> I suggest to do this as errata for ODF1.2.

This is definitely not a possible subject for an errata to change the
interpretation of the value. The bug is in the implementations mentioned
and a change would break other implementations.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA
Concordia University College of Alberta