Subject: RE: [office-comment] Cross-Cutting Deletions in Lists (re: OFFICE-2621)

Looking at what I refer to as the second misunderstanding, I can see what the mistake is.  The delete rejection rule does not compensate for the fact that the producer of this tracked-change introduced an extra <text:list> start tag to make everything work, and the deletion rule doesn't reverse that.

One could argue that if the delete rule won't restore the list properly, the original deletion should (1) have not been allowed, or (2) should have been automatically split into multiple changes so that it could be restored properly, even though it might take more steps to do so.  (This seems to be what MS Word does, so if inter-convertibility were important, choice (2) would be attractive.)

If there is anything missing in 5.5.4 then, it could be the requirement that <text:deletion> elements should not be produced for which applying the rejection rule does not lead to the original before-deletion material.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 17:39
To: 'ODF Comments List'

I was reminding myself about the state of ODF change-tracking by reviewing the JIRA issues on the subject.  This comment relates to OFFICE-2621 at <https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/OFFICE-2621>, but it is probably a new issue.

[ ... ]

THE SECOND MISUNDERSTANDING

Consider this case:

  1. aaaaaaaaaaaa
  2. bbbbbbbbbbbb
     a. cccccccccccc
        i. dddddddddddd
        ii. eeeeeeeeeeee
     b. fffffffffff
  3. gggggggggggg

And let this be the deletion:

  1. aaaaaaaaaaaa
  2. bbbbbb------
     a. ------cccccc
        i. dddddddddddd
        ii. eeeeeeeeeeee
     b. fffffffffff
  3. gggggggggggg

Note that, this case, the deletion not only cross-cuts two list items, it cross-cuts over the beginning of a sublist.

I checked this with an existing ODF implementation and Microsoft Office.  Both allow this case.  The question for ODF is what happens with the cut-through sublist beginning.

If you look at it with changes not shown, it will appear as

  1. aaaaaaaaaaaa
  2. bbbbbbcccccc
        i. dddddddddddd
        ii. eeeeeeeeeeee
     b. fffffffffff
  3. gggggggggggg

But if the document is saved and reloaded, in at least one current ODF implementation, it comes back as

  1. aaaaaaaaaaaa
  2. bbbbbb------
  3. ------cccccc
        i. dddddddddddd
        ii. eeeeeeeeeeee
     b. fffffffffff
  4. gggggggggggg

(and note that item (b) is orphaned with no (a)).

And rejecting the deletion produces

  1. aaaaaaaaaaaa
  2. bbbbbbbbbbbb
  3. cccccccccccc
        i. dddddddddddd
        ii. eeeeeeeeeeee
     b. fffffffffff
  4. gggggggggggg

The question is, of course, what is in the list and the <text:deletion> that are saved and how did it the original unchanged text get lost in this way?

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A

PS: Here's what I found in the ODF.  I will be necessary to splice some line breaks back together, and the list server might have problems with the angle brackets:

<office:text>
    <text:tracked-changes>
        <text:changed-region xml:id="ct242184032" text:id="ct242184032">
            <text:deletion>
                <text:list xml:id="list4891716330041825216"
                           text:style-name="L1">
                    <text:list-item>
                        <text:p text:style-name="P1">bbbbbb</text:p>
                        <text:list>
                            <text:list-item>
                                <text:p text:style-name="P1">cccccc</text:p>
                            </text:list-item>
                        </text:list>
                    </text:list-item>
                </text:list>
            </text:deletion>
        </text:changed-region>
    </text:tracked-changes>

    <text:list xml:id="list143629373148105" text:continue-numbering="true" text:style-name="L1">
        <text:list-item>
            <text:p text:style-name="P1">aaaaaaaaaaaa</text:p>
        </text:list-item>
        <text:list-item>
            <text:p text:style-name="P1">
                bbbbbb<text:change text:change-id="ct242184032"/>cccccc
            </text:p>
            <text:list>
                <text:list-item>
                    <text:list>
                        <text:list-item>
                            <text:p text:style-name="P1">dddddddddddd</text:p>
                        </text:list-item>
                        <text:list-item>
                            <text:p text:style-name="P1">eeeeeeeeeeee</text:p>
                        </text:list-item>
                    </text:list>
                </text:list-item>
                <text:list-item>
                    <text:p text:style-name="P1">ffffffffffff</text:p>
                </text:list-item>
            </text:list>
        </text:list-item>
        <text:list-item>
            <text:p text:style-name="P1">gggggggggggg</text:p>
        </text:list-item>
    </text:list>
</office:text>

--
This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: office-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org